SFIC Institute’s Masterclass series comprises of specialised workshops on relevant topics and issues faced by the industry. Designed to meet specific needs, each Masterclass course will equip participants with skills and tools that will enable them to handle their job functions with confidence. Led by experts with many years of industry experience in their various fields, participants get to learn in a small-class setting and will be able to optimise their learning experience.
Executive Masterclass in Contract Claims, Variations and Disputes for Built Environment
This Executive Masterclass aims to equip participants with the knowledge and skills to better manage built environment contracts. Besides covering the rights and obligations of parties, contract provisions and handling disputes, participants will also be equipped with the tools to better safeguard their businesses from disputes arising from non-payment.
By the end of the course, learners will be able to:
- List legal issues which may arise from certain contract terms and clauses (eg indemnities, insurance, payment, BGs, force majeure, LDs and termination)
- Describe what contractual requirements are in relation to claims
- Explain what are the obligations when assessing claims
- Apply extension of time from Contract
- Apply what Security of Payment Act (SOPA) cover in payment claims
- Manage disputes over variations vs contract works and devise a plan to mitigate the disputes
Business owners, decision makers, managers involved in projects/contracts, procurement, disputes and their resolution
Minimum Entry Requirements / Assumed Skills and Knowledge
Proficient in English.
Award / Certification
- Certificate of Performance (electronic Certificate) will be issued by Singapore Polytechnic in collaboration with SFIC Institute
- A Certificate of Performance will be awarded to participants who pass the assessment and meet at least 75% attendance rate
Mr Eric Ng Yuen is the Partner of Malkin & Maxwell LLP. His focus is in the field of construction, real estate and building management. He has acted in construction claims in High Court as well as Arbitration.
His research into the construction laws of the United Kingdom and Australia culminated in two Reports forwarded by Specialists Trade Alliance Singapore and Singapore Furniture Industries Council (SFIC) to the Building and Construction Authority. In response, Parliament enacted a new law: Building and Constructions (Security of Payment) Act 2004. Currently, he is an accredited adjudicator on the Adjudicator Panel organised by the Singapore Mediation Centre since July 2005. Hence in different cases, Mr Eric Ng Yuen may act for claimants, respondents or act as adjudicator.
Course Dates: 26 & 27 November 2020 – held over 2 mornings (Registration closes on 16 November 2020)
Duration: 9am – 12.30pm
Singaporeans aged 25 years and above may use **SkillsFuture Credit balance to offset respective course fees.
1 Under the Enhanced Training Support for Small & Medium Enterprises (SMEs) Scheme. For more information, click here
2 Under the SkillsFuture Mid-career Enhanced Subsidy. For more information, visit the SkillsFuture website here.
Note: Registration page is only accessible on a Desktop browser.